Sunday, November 30, 2014

17 Japan DAY 9 – OTARU, HOKKAIDO, JAPAN (2 May, 2014)

Seriously I’m not bothered with writing about the morning routine anymore; my hands only weary down. Then again, it is not necessary as most of you by now if you have actually bothered reading would know that our normal waking hour is around 4 am and we usually leave the hotel by 6 or 6.30 in the morning. Maybe that’s what differentiates Sapporo to the other cities we visited. In Sapporo, we usually leave the hotel at 8 or 8.30 am; thanks to the close location of our hotel Ana Sapporo to the bus terminal where we had to meet our guide. Yes, we were visiting Otaru, a port city with beautiful Bay views at the west coast of Hokkaido, Japan. It was just 30 min bus travel from Sapporo.
Ana Hotel Sapporo room, Sapporo, Japan. May 2, 2014

We boarded the Chuo Bus at 9 am. An Indian family from Calcutta was also joined the tour. They were visiting Japan for the second time. First time, one year ago, they visited South part of Japan and as they liked Japan very much, this time they were touring the North part. Our bus left the Sapporo terminal at 9.15 am. On the way to Otaru, we enjoyed the sceneries, especially the hill ranges; yes, Japan is really beautiful!
A view of hill ranges on the way to Otaru, Japan. 
May 2, 2014

Our first stop was Otaru Bine, a wine shop for tasting wine and shopping. At least that’s what the headphone I was wearing said in English as our guide could not speak in English. The wine was a fine visit for those who love wine, but I was bored, so I just wandered around gazing at some of the glassware they had on display. Nevertheless the first stop was a disappointment for me.
At Otaru Bine (Wine shop), Otaru, Japan. May 2, 2014

We then drove to Otaru Canal Terminal. This place was the one which I appreciated with many artists trying to sell their beautiful portraits of the scenery provided in different seasons. 
Otaru Canal, Otaru, Japan. May 2, 2014

The canal was satiable to the eyes with an oddly western look to it according to me atleast. With old buildings to the right and a pathway filled with people and lined with flowers and elegant lamps completely made me forget the first disappointment. What highlighted the scene was the snow capped mountains visible from the canal.
Otaru Canal. A view of snow capped mountain, 
Otaru, Japan. May 2, 2014

Lunch, according to my parents, was enjoyable with all kinds of food laid for the pick in the buffet held by the five star hotel, Grand Park Otaru. The dining hall had beautiful Marina and Ishikari Bay views. Every section, starting from bread, salad, soup, drinks, noodles, rice, seafood, chicken, snacks, fruits was filled with many many items. Actually, I don’t like pizza. But I would have to agree that I especially loved the pizza there which was odd size. Maybe it tasted good because there was more cheese?
Grand Park Otaru hotel, Otaru, Japan. May 2, 2014

Lunch at Grand Park Otaru hotel, Otaru, Japan. 
May 2, 2014



Anyway moving on, our bus next stopped at a Sake Brewery. There, we were taken for a guided tour about how sake is prepared. Since the guide spoke only Japanese we could not understand anything and instead just looked at the machines which were at work. After the mini tour, we came to a counter on which were placed several bottles of what I had assumed as sake and on a small tray several cups. The guide helped anyone who wanted to give a try a cup filled with their choice of sake. I got curious as some people seemed to enjoy it and I was too tempted as well. It was disgusting, my tongue almost burned and I quickly returned the cup still filled to the brim back to the lady. Since it was sake, I thought it would taste different; but it tasted the same as wine which for your information I’ll confirm that I actually did taste wine once thinking it was grape juice. Ah the face of my younger’s self, I remember, became contorted in disgust. Now that I think about it, it’s actually funny.
At Sake Brewery, Otaru, Japan. May 2, 2014

I was met with disappointed yet again in the next stop at Kitaichi Glass and Otaru Music Box Museum. We could not find this museum and wandered around for a while until we came to a small glass shop where glass was being made and this was apparently enough for my father. So we decided to walk around the shops, took pictures of beautiful Sakura trees along the street and however, finally found the Kitaichi Glass and music box museum. 
Sakura trees, near Kitaichi Glass museum, 
Otaru, Japan. May 2, 2014

Now let’s get a fact straight that I love history meaning I love antiques and music boxes to my knowledge were of European antique origin. This will also explain my craze for pocket watches. So I wanted to buy a music box. But got dissuaded by my mother, what did she say, I don’t remember. However, I did end up buying a pocket watch!

Kitaichi Glass museum, Otaru, Japan. May 2, 2014


We then left for our last stop of the day the Tenguyama Ropeway. Aboard the gondola, our guide told us the story of tengu which a manifestation of evil according to Buddhists. They have long noses, big heads and an ugly smile. The guide also said that some people thought that the Europeans were the tengu due to their long noses. Weird was all I could think!
Mt. Tengu, Otaru, Japan. May 2, 2014

At the top of the Mount Tengu, my parents had a blast with the snow, taking pictures in places they thought convenient. I stood there with my mobile in my hand irritated until I got interested by the sun which looked like a single bright spot in the sky. After that I also joined in on the photo spree.

Later on we went inside the building (the ropeway station) and I and my father visited a small museum of tengu artefacts called, Ski museum, while my mother waited. It was boring even for a history lover like me as we couldn't read anything what with everything being written in Japanese; we soon lost interest.
Mt. Tengu, Otaru, Japan. May 2, 2014

On making our way outside, we went to the souvenir shop nearby. And here we had a chance to talk to the Indian family who were also part of our tour and the boy, who is also a lover of anime, gave me information about the radeo shop in Akihabara (Tokyo), the anime capital which is said to have the figurines of many anime characters. I was excited and wanted to visit the shop in no time!

As Mt. Tengu was our last stop, the bus started returning to Sapporo. Along the way we were shown the historically significant clock tower. Soon after, we arrived at the Sapporo bus terminal. By then the time was almost 6.30 pm.

But since we still had a great deal of the day left, we planned to shop; yes, just window shopping! But at the end, I believe, that was my mother’s greatest regret, after all she was the one who brought up the idea of shopping. The first store we entered was a convenience store which had a separate floor for electronics. And there I saw one of my greatest addictions, yes, I have an addiction with headphones the same way I have on with notebooks and pencils. So I wandered around shouting to my mother in delight and my father suddenly said that he too wanted a headphone, especially from the company Bose. We soon found it; the sound quality was splendour unlike any other. We loved it. The only dissuading factor was the price. In the end, I somehow forced my mother and bought it along with my father.

Next, we went to the shops that my mother was interested which were mainly footwear shops. I and my father waited while she was on that spree. My mother decided to buy an intricately designed black flat. Since we were foreigners, we were not included in their tax system, and we had to show them our passport to have a tax-free special bill, at least this was what I understood.
Bose headphone and the flat shoe, 
Sapporo, Japan. May 2, 2014

I learned something during these shopping that hard work was inspiring seeing the sale assistants ran around to satisfy us, wherein shops in some of the countries wouldn’t have bothered, made me really happy. I don’t think I will ever forget those people there and their efforts are well received and appreciated.

           
           By the time we returned to the hotel after buying something for dinner, the time was 9.30 pm and we were tired but satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment