Sunday, December 7, 2014

18 Japan DAY 10 – SAPPORO, HOKKAIDO, JAPAN (3 May, 2014)

 “What a hassle”, was what I thought sitting in the building above the Sapporo bus terminal playing with my mobile while waiting, again for my parents to finish whatever argument they were having with the bus ticket counter person. How did this situation come to be? As this was our last day in Sapporo, my parents had requested an arrangement to be made for a simple morning tour of Sapporo city so that we could peacefully go for a shopping in the afternoon. However the agent arranged for a whole day tour and a lot of money had been paid, so now my parents were demanding a refund.
Ana Hotel Sapporo, Sapporo, Japan. May 3, 2014

     I did not plan to get involved as it was my nature and age. Basically, I was not concerned to a high degree about money but rather about the afternoon shopping we had planned, as I had in mind a place I wished to find out.
Sapporo Railway Station, Sapporo, Japan. May 3, 2014

     But boredom was persistent; I was soon too bored to play any more and turned my head to watch the ongoing fiasco, and out of a whim decided to join in too. Not that I did much, I blankly watched the proceedings. This continued until at last they came to a solution that, my parents would visit the tour office in Singapore where the ticket had been booked and we were shifted to partake in the Sapporo morning tour. Later the tour office in Singapore returned the extra money we paid; their prompt action is appreciated!
Near Sapporo Railway Station, Sapporo, Japan. 
May 3, 2014

     Boarding the Chuo bus I quickly placed the translation headphone and set the channel to English. In this tour, the first place we visited was Hokkaido Shrine which is said to be the most prominent Shinto shrine in Hokkaido. But what interested most of the tourists was the rows of sakura blooming on either side of the pathway leading to the temple. It was a beautiful sight. And most of our time after the shrine was spent there.
Hokkaido Shrine, Sapporo, Japan. May 3, 2014

     Next stop was Shiroi Koibito Park, a theme park by Ishiya chocolate company.  Ishiya factory produces the famous cookies called, Shiroi Koibito cookie consisting two thin butter biscuits sandwiched with a layer of white chocolate. We have tasted the cookie; it was very delicious. Tourists most probably never fail to buy this, as this is one of the most famous souvenirs from Hokkaido.

     This theme park has a Sapporo Mechanical Clock Tower; for every hour, there is a parade of singing and dancing of mechanical dolls. There is a beautiful rose garden, good place for taking snaps.
At Shiroi Koibito Park of Ishiya Chocolate Company, 
Sapporo, Japan. May 3, 2014

     We got a special pass from our guide which allowed us to enter the factory faster than the people who were waiting in long queue. As soon as we entered, there was a beautiful Aurora Fountain. 
Aurora Fountain at Shiroi Koibito Park of 
Ishiya Chocolate Company, Sapporo, Japan. May 3, 2014

   However, there weren't many things interesting to me, so I and my mother walked quickly while my father followed with a slower pace taking videos. We saw every stage of the factory production of Shiroi Koibito cookie; it was really amazing. My father’s interest only grew as he saw the last stage of the factory where the final product, the cookies were being wrapped.
At Shiroi Koibito Park of Ishiya Chocolate Company, Sapporo, Japan. May 3, 2014

     Since our visit was over quicker than expected and we still had time, we sat down outside on the chairs provided and ate ice cream and hot chocolate which we had bought from a nearby vendor like counter. With our slow pace of eating, it was no wonder the time was up fast. As in the end, we found ourselves running back to the bus. It seemed that we were the last to board.
At Shiroi Koibito Park of Ishiya Chocolate Company, 
Sapporo, Japan. May 3, 2014

     Our last stop was the Sapporo Seafood Market (Nijo Market), where the tourists preferred to have lunch as a variety of delicious sea foods are available. However seeing that the place stank of seafood and crab, my father showed no interest to have lunch there. Instead we started to walk around the market. One thing was in abundance in the market, king crabs imported from Russia. The store keepers seemed unafraid of the scissored creatures as they seemed to handle the crabs casually, then again it could have been the confidence of experience.
Nijo Seafood Market, Sapporo, Japan. May 3, 2014

     After a walk around the market, we still found ourselves with free time on our hands. My father then got the bright idea to head for the sea which he thought existed due to the powerful breezes; it did if you were wondering. So we headed in the opposite direction of the market and walking across what could be concluded as a residential area (FYI, there is no sea nearby Sapporo; I guess, at least we have to travel for 30 min by car to see a sea!). We then came across a park and decided to sit down. The rest of the time was spent sitting like that wasting away time. Fortunately soon after, the clock miraculously struck our appointed time and we left to board the bus.

     Along the way to Sapporo bus terminal (to end our tour), our guide pointed out the Hokkaido Museum of Modern Art and the Sapporo Clock Tower, which seemed to have a history behind it. Unfortunately I didn't listen properly as I was busy staring outside.

     For lunch we bought our favourite chicken curry rice. After having our lunch, we went downstairs to our hotel reception and asked directions to Mandarake in Sapporo. The man oddly didn't seem to understand, however gave us directions upon hearing the word, ‘anime’. How annoying it was when we reached the place, I was met not with huge building labelled ‘Mandarake’ as in Google images. Instead, it was just some small shops practically insignificant to my eyes as they were not my goal.
Lunch, Sapporo, Japan. May 3, 2014

     For my mother, however, there was great news as there were plenty of shops with clothes and shoes of many well known companies. Me and my father on the other hand opted to go to a nearby book store.
In the end, both of us ended up buying each a book, while my mother came back empty handed!

     On my mother’s suggestion, we decided to go to the seemingly big shopping centre near our Ana hotel. There again my mother shopped while my father settled down with the book he bought. After I don’t know how many minutes she decided to return and we left together for the hotel but not without buying dinner!


Dinner, Sapporo, Japan. May 3, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment