Saturday, November 8, 2014

14 Japan DAY 6 – PANORAMIC TOKYO, JAPAN (29 April, 2014)

As we know, Tokyo is a huge city, with many Shinto shrines, Buddhist temples, castles, shopping malls and so on; one cannot cover all the areas in one day. So we chose to visit only the important landmarks. First we visited the Meiji Jingu Shinto shrine. Next on the list was, the Imperial Palace East Garden.

     On the way, we have seen Ginkgo plants on both sides of the road. Our guide said, these plants are very hard to catch fire. They even survived Hiroshima bombing. And in summer, the leaves are green which turn into yellow in autumn (in October).
Ginkgo plant. Tokyo, Japan. Apr. 29, 2014

     Our guide was saying that the Tokyo University and the Parliament of Japan are on the way to the Palace; but we haven’t stopped for a visit (because of security reasons? Oh, I don’t know!).  
Imperial Palace, Tokyo, Japan. Apr. 29, 2014

     The palace and the large garden area were surrounded by moats and earthquake-proof walls. I was not excited as my interest in plants was close to nil with a few exceptions. My mother, she was happy as she loved flowers. Anyway, we weren’t disappointed as there were many types of flowers in so many colours. I was impressed as well, but my interest was still lacking. All I could think about was the distance between us and the guide whose identity prop, a pink pompom was bobbing up and down as she quickly hurried along.
Imperial Palace moat, Tokyo, Japan. Apr. 29, 2014

     The Imperial Palace garden however let my imagination wander. It wasn’t hard to imagine the Emperors walking by silently and it gave me a nice word play to ponder on. The history also enticed me after the garden and the palace had survived the world wars.
Imperial Palace garden, Tokyo, Japan. Apr. 29, 2014

     I also heard that the Emperor lived there and his family would come to the garden every Monday and Fridays on which the garden would be closed to the public.
Tokyo Railway station. Japan. Apr. 29, 2014

     After this, we proceeded to Sensoji Buddhist temple at Asakusa. On the way, we have seen the Tokyo Main Railway Station building from the bus. Our guide was describing about the designer of this building and how he designed. I am lucky to have a chance to visit inside and see outside of this building, I would say, it’s spellbound!

     The Sensoji Buddhist temple is the most significant and oldest in Tokyo, having a history of 1300 years. Impressive was all I could, not of the temple but of its history. The temple did have a nice feeling to it, though the feeling of a long worn history!
Sensoji Buddhist temple, Tokyo, Japan. Apr. 29, 2014


     But even the history couldn't wake me from the bored slump I was in, even my parents weren’t interested. As a result, we found ourselves near the bus sooner than the appointed time, and seeing this, my parents started taking pictures. But fortune shone on me and the guide came soon after.

     We had lunch at Pastel tei - Panoramic Tokyo view restaurant which was at the top of Seaside Hotel Shiba Yayoi. We enjoyed the delicious western style food, watching the panoramic view of Tokyo.
Lunch at Pastel tei - Panoramic Tokyo view restaurant, 
Tokyo, Japan. Apr. 29, 2014

     Following this, we went to the harbour for a Tokyo Bay cruise (the hotel we stayed was on the other side of the Tokyo Bay). The Symphony Classica was a beautiful ship with a restaurant. 
Tokyo Bay cruise. Rainbow bridge at the backdrop. 
Tokyo, Japan. Apr. 29, 2014

     Never knew I could enjoy a city cruise; but, since I got good photos it would explain my happiness. But even without my camera I feel that I would have still enjoyed it especially the beauty of the city. Most of the buildings were tall and the city itself in some way resembled New York, what made it different was the Rainbow Bridge, which seemed to arch over the building tops framing it.
A Panoramic view of Tokyo Bay, Tokyo, Japan. 
Apr. 29, 2014


     The last stop of the day was Aqua City at Odaiba. Odaiba is a manmade island, with shopping malls, cinemas etc. One can see the complete panoramic view of Tokyo Bay from Odaiba. There was a miniature version of the Statue of Liberty of New York.
A miniature version of the Statue of Liberty of New York
at
Aqua City, Odaiba, Tokyo, Japan. Apr. 29, 2014

     The guide, when we reached Odaiba told us that whoever wanted to remain there could and that she would leave us. Much to my misery, my mom decided that she wanted to stay so that she could shop and that was what we did after informing the guide.

     Odaiba turned out to be an important place to me, but that I realized only later. You see, in 2013, there was an exhibition where the Thousand Sunny a real life ship model from ‘One Piece’ was displayed. Thus this place was important to me until I realized. Alas, I was completely disappointed after I discovered that the ‘One Piece’ exhibition had moved; it seemed that the exhibition was only for a temporary period.
Aqua City, Odaiba, Tokyo, Japan. Apr. 29, 2014

     After spending more than 1 hour, my mother ended up buying a pair of chappals for remembering Tokyo, she said!

     And the final factor which wore me down was the travel to the hotel all the way from Odaiba to Maihama. A warning to choose a hotel within the city as ours was far away so it always took us long to reach the Maihama station and then again by monorail to our hotel.
Aqua City, Odaiba, Tokyo, Japan. Apr. 29, 2014


     Wiped out would be the word to describe me in the hotel that night. Well, at least I was able to sleep well..!


No comments:

Post a Comment