Sunday, July 6, 2014

3. Japan DAY 2 - KYOTO, JAPAN (25 April, 2014)

The morning greeted me not with a Sun rather with a song in my ears courtesy of my alarm. Unfortunately, the alarm woke up my mother who grumbled at me to get ready. After ungluing myself from the bed, I sluggishly did my daily routine. This was at 4.30 am. After completing everything including dressing myself, I promptly fell asleep again. That was at 5 am and the Sun just rising. I was again woken up at 6 am, and with an expression ranging between blankness and annoyance I combed my hair and sat down waiting.

     At 6.30 am we left our room and had a brief stop downstairs for a breakfast. We then made our way to the station and with some help boarded the subway to Umeda otherwise known as Osaka station. And then again with the assistance we found the JR line, which went to Kyoto. We didn't need a ticket, as that was the purpose of the JR pass service.  
Having breakfast at Hotel ANA Crowne Plaza, Osaka, Japan. Apr. 25, 2014
     The train we took to Kyoto was labelled special Rapid service. Probably I had thought because it was fast. We arrived at Kyoto station. Now people are probably wondering why we are in such a hurry, well you see it is because we have to meet our tour guide at New Miyako Hotel at 8.35 am.

At Kyoto Railway Station.  Japan. Apr. 25, 2014
    

     My father thought it was a good idea to leave early to avoid stress so when we reached the meeting place the time was 7.50 am and we had plenty of time to dawdle.

     Oddly the time passed sooner than anticipated and we found ourselves on a bus to visit all the important sites of Kyoto the former capital of Japan (if you spell backwards the name, according to Japanese hiragana, the name Kyoto, ‘Kyo’ and ‘to’ becomes ‘To’ and ‘kyo’ Tokyo, the present capital).

     The guide was a Japanese lady, but spoke English relatively well. I liked for the simple fact that she made us laugh. Her jokes were as follows.

1, The relation between Emperor and Shogun (the top military commander)
While the Emperor was the supreme one, if he were to take a decision, which affects the state, he will need the permission of the Shogun.
It’s similar to know how a husband, if he wants to buy an expensive car needs a permission of his wife.

 2. Japan the major religions are Shintoism (80% of the Japan population practising it) and Buddhism. There are very few Christians. However during Christmas, it will appear as if everyone in Japan converted to Christianity.

       Not laughing? Never mind; may be it was the way she said because we tourists laughed.

     Okay back to our tour. The first place we visited was NijŌ Castle. There were four buildings each one for different purposes. One was for reception of guests, another for Samurais and for important guests. The third one was for the relatives of the shogun and the last for shogun himself. The place was interesting. It had a corridor named nightingale corridor which produced the birds sound when stepped on. This was used in the detection of assassins.  We were introduced to tatami mats, which were mats, made from straw.

    The guide brought us to the garden. In the garden she showed us to the mechanism behind the nightingale corridor. It was as I thought and interesting.

NijŌ Castle. Kyoto, Japan. Apr. 25, 2014
     Looking at the garden of the palace one should imagine beautiful ladies walking around admiring flowers in the season and shogun sitting relaxed watching the sky.

     I enjoyed the place thoroughly and hope to visit it again in the future. The next place on our itinerary was the Golden Pavilion (Kinkaku-ji or officially Rokuon-ji, a Zen Buddhist temple). It was magnificent especially the view at the pond before it reflecting the golden temple surrounded by trees and  tops of distant mountains made  me  want to keep taking pictures.

The Golden Pavilion. Kyoto, Japan. Apr. 25, 2014
     Irony was, it was a place I want to take pictures that I failed. The crowd was too much and I had a hard time to keeping track my guide and my mother who was in rush to I don’t know where and at the same time snap a shot which would made me satisfied. I felt frustrated after I exited the pavilion but could not go back because the guide was already going back to the bus.

     Next, we visited the Kyoto Imperial Palace.  While it was special in its own rights, I did not enjoy it as much as the NijŌ Castle. Either way one must admire the way of construction. I had always curious about the design of Japanese and Chinese buildings and this also made me wonder. If it wasn't for the sun and the dry soil I was standing I would have enjoyed the visit more.

Kyoto Imperial Palace.  Japan. Apr. 25, 2014

   
     Since me and my parents were part of the morning tour only which was from 8.45 am to 12. 20 pm we were left at the New Miyako Hotel where we met the guide earlier. So, after making our way back to the station we took a train back to Umeda, Osaka.
     We wandered for a while searching for something to eat and settled in a restaurant (Hotel Granvia Osaka) where we left with no choice but to have beef curry with rice. Yes, grass for hungry tigers, but..!
Having lunch at Hotel Granvia Osaka, Japan. Apr. 25, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment