Sunday, August 24, 2014

9 Japan DAY 4 –AGAIN BULLET TRAIN: FROM OSAKA TO TOKYO, JAPAN (27 April, 2014)

The travelling time from Osaka to Tokyo by bullet train is three hours. The distance between the two cities is 511.2 km, travelling by road would take six hours and thirty minutes.
In bullet train Shinkansen Hikari 506. Apr. 27, 2014

     This information is enough to bear witness to the speed of a bullet train. And travellers are sometimes left in awe. I would have been in awe as well, if I was someone else that is. In fact when I heard of the speed of the bullet train, my mind and my expression remained blank. After all could you except a sleepy girl to be interested in such information when all she could think about was to gain rest, my answer is no. As a matter of fact, during the whole journey from Osaka to Tokyo I was alternating between sleep and consciousness. Now why am I mentioning this, simple to serve as a warning to people who plan their trips. Don’t book your train tickets at six thirty in the morning, you will be half asleep later on in the train and miss what might be beautiful views outside the window.
Shinkansen Hikari 506 train ticket. Apr. 27, 2014.

     Now to the main point, why did my father think it was a wonderful idea to book the tickets at 6.30 AM, apparently it was for the sake of the main purpose of the whole trip, visiting Tokyo Disney Sea. Truth be told, when I heard that I was not happy, in fact, feelings of dread filled me. Once upon a time, when I was still a kid I told my parents that I wished to visit Disneyland, and holding that in mind, my parents had booked tickets for both Disneyland and Disney Sea. As was my nature I had urged with them about it, but had to shut my mouth after hearing the price they had to pay.

     The bullet train Shinkansen Hikari 506 started at 6.27 AM from Shin-Osaka station. The first stopping was Kyoto (6.42 AM; 15 min), yes we had a chance of crossing Kyoto for a second time. One unique thing I noticed in bullet trains was, the ticket-checking officers or other service staff bow at the door every time they enter or leave the car. This gesture serves as a sign of respect, getting attention from the passengers and apologizing for interrupting them. Can we expect such respect from public servicemen or policemen in India even after 50 years?
Arrival at Tokyo. Apr. 27, 2014.

     After arriving Tokyo, we had to take Keiyo line to Maihama station which was near Disney resort. The Tokyo railway station was very big and complicated as well. There were many railway lines and many floors. However, as we knew the name of the railway line, it was easy for us to find out the platform with the help of clear guiding signboards. 
Moving walkway at Tokyo railway station. Apr. 27, 2014. 

     
     There were many ‘moving walkways’ (also called, Passenger conveyor belts, ‘Travelators, Moving pavements, or Autowalks), very helpful to lazy people for easy walk!  
    
Keiyo line train to Maihama station. Apr. 27, 2014.
     
     At Maihama station, we waited for the hotel shuttle bus. This service is available only on Saturdays and Sundays; during weekdays, we have to take another train, the Disney Resort Line (an automated Monorail, yes no engine driver for this train), get down at Bayside station and get to the hotel either by walking or by the regular hotel shuttle bus. 
Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay hotel shuttle bus. Apr. 27, 2014.

     We chose this hotel Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay as it was just one station away from Disney Sea and three stations away from Disney Land by Monorail.
In Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay hotel shuttle bus. Apr. 27, 2014.


     
     So after leaving our luggage in the hotel, we made our way to Tokyo Disney Sea.

Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay hotel. Apr. 27, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment